Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Church on Sunday

The next four weeks we will be attending church with different missionary couples in Lima. This past Sunday we attended Iglesia Evangelica Bautista Calvario near downtown Lima, with Truman and Carol Chatman. It is a new church plant and we had a fabulous time. Sandy gave her testimony, I spoke, and Tommy Smith (missionary with REAPNorth who attends language school with us) delivered a short message. There were probably fifteen people there, but in the block that the church is in there are 5,000 people living in apartments. The fields are ripe for harvest, we just pray for workers. Right outside the door of the apartment the church sits in someone filled up a plastic swimming pool and the children were playing. It got very noisy during the service. We found out some of the children playing in the pool sometimes attend the church. They skipped church to play in the pool. It was a very simple service, but very moving. This Sunday we will attend church with Wayne and Debbie Brinkley.

Yesterday I got the call that we had been assigned a truck. It is one that Arnold and Susie Austin (precious friends and fellow teammates) had. They got a new one. I had to go and get it from the mission office and drive it home. What an experience, first time driving by myself in Lima's traffic. It was very interesting. Being the new kid, I sure didn't want anything to happen on the way home. I was driving like a little old lady. Very slow and very careful. I didn't care how many horns were blowing at me. I will put a picture on the blog very soon.

Spanish classes are going very well. Sandy is struggling with her phonics a little bit, but that is to be expected. We are working on ser and estar this week. Lots of memory work right now.

I am taking Sandy out to TGI Fridays tonight for an early valentines dinner, so I need to go and finish homework. Love everyone. Susie we are praying for your recovery.

No comments: